Visit to Birmingham (Again!)

Monday, November 28, 2016


Told you I would be back soon didn't I? And with a little adventure to Birmingham Museum and Gallery, or rather the current exhibition in the Gas Hall, Night in the Museum. I was very excited to explore this exhibition curated by Ryan Gander, and upon entering certainly wasn't disappointed.

I found myself within a contemporary wonderland of which I took plenty of photographs. I was particularly interested in the way in which it was curated, placing the gaze of the sculptures on the installations and hung works spanning the walls of the gallery. I feel this decision created a new atmosphere which wouldn't be imaginable if the pieces stood alone. I feel there is a chemistry created, a sort of tension which causes the viewer to feel closer to the works. Like you are involved with the figures admiring the work as you are. This decision to me gave the exhibition a new layer of depth.

Contemporary art is definitely up there as one of my favourite eras of artwork and this exhibition really captures my interest perfectly with a wonderful array of works. I would totally recommend a visit if you are in the area as it contains some more well known names as well as artists who I have instantly fallen in love with. I really could talk for hours about all of the pieces below but I shall spare you the torture 😉 and show you my favourite works from today.

 Ryan Gander, 'As old as time itself, slept alone' (2016).

 Roger Hiorns, 'Nunhead' (2004).

Angela Bulloch, 'Plastic Sphere Cube Triangle (blue)' (2010).

Kenneth Martin, 'Chance, Order, Change 2 (Ultramarine Blue)' (1976).

Raphael Hefti, From the series 'Subtraction as Addition' (2013).

Robyn Denny, 'Landscape Painting No 5' (1978-81). 

John Davies, 'Figure with Slats' (1973-75).

 Patrick Caulfield, 'Vase on Display' (1970).

 Edgar Degas, 'Dancer at Rest' (1870-1900).

 Richard Deacon, 'Kind of Blue (A)' (2001).

 Richard Wright, 'Untitled 09.02.03' (2003).

 Jacob Epstein, 'Bust of Dr. Vaughan Williams O.M.' (1950).

 Sir Jacob Epstein, 'Rock Drill (reconstruction by Kenneth Cook and Ann Christopher)' (1973).


 Barrie Cook, 'Dean' (1977).

 Matthew Darbyshire, 'CAPTCHA No.21- Doryphoros' (2015).


 Leonard McComb, 'Young Man Standing' (1963-77).


 Gath Evans, 'Blue No.30' (1964) & Kerry Stewart, 'Untitled (Lucy)' (1996).

Oh, and I took a moment to again appreciate the architecture  of the beautiful museum and gallery building. I wish my home were as decorative as this, but I guess dusting would be a hassle hehe! Anyway, I will link a little about the exhibition below and I hope you enjoyed my little galavant to the middle of the country!

http://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/bmag/whats-on/night-in-the-museum-ryan-gander-curates-the-arts-council-collection

Back soon, bye bye!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Love these kind of posts because I almost get to visit somewhere by looking at the photos you have taken!

    ReplyDelete

Follow
All images used on this site are mine unless stated (eg. Pixabay.com) and I respectfully ask for requested permission to use them. Other images will have a stated source. Thank you.